Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May 17th –Surveys day two

After rising from my cement mattress and eating breakfast (rice and pork soup), we waited for our Thai student assistants and headed out to the harbor where a speed boat was waiting.  Working with the port director definitely has its perks.  On this island, he is revered and our needs are his.  We basically get whatever we want and much more we never expected.  Off to harbor we went to visit the barge blocks.  There are barges, vessels which carry rice, cassava or fertilizer and about 10 of them are tied together to form a community “block”, in the middle of the sea.  My assistant, Waaii and I are let off at one end while the others are sprinkled throughout.  These people get no warning we are coming and by the look on their faces, they look terrified.  Especially when they see a farang (tourist, stranger) invading their space.  After Waaii explains we are students working together on an international project, they timidly accept us.  Together, our group conducted about 60 evaluations in all.  It was very humbling and shocking to see how these people live a “sea life”.  They wait around with their product until a tugboat comes (most have no engine) to either unload or refill cargo. Living quarters are about 20x20 max.  They watch TV, listen to music, sing karaoke, smoke cigarettes, paint the boat but mostly, they talk.  Their neighbors are family and together, they live their life out in the sea.   I wondered if I could do the same until my flip flop slipped, I fell on my derriere and I was convinced my sea legs definitely belong on land. 
 After stopping in the center of town for some shopping, we headed back to the hotel where my shower awaited.  We did some more work entering the data we collected to form a conjoint analysis (google it).  And then, we sat for our feast.  Dinner takes close to two hours to complete.  So many plates come and go; mussels, crab, rice, fried whole fish, scallops, clams, soup (3 kinds), salad, curry shrimp, fried and grilled squid, egg omelet..I’m sure I’m forgetting something.  It’s overwhelming and gluttonous and I participate. 
After dinner we headed to the temple for the celebration of Buddha, it only happens once a year and I felt so fortunate to be able to witness this community coming together.  We take lotus flowers we folded ourselves, incense and a candle to wait for the monks to exit the temple and follow them in prayer, 3 times around.  Once completed, you offer your items to Buddha for his blessing.  Children playing instruments unfamiliar to me surrounded the offering site.  Down the colored lantern lit path we went to arrive at a stage where typical dancing was showcased and food carts sold fried quail eggs, chicken or beef satay, sodas or ice cream.  I had a coconut ice cream with what felt like pieces of dough within.  Not really sure what it was but it was refreshing and pretty good, I couldn’t believe I was eating again.  They guys went fishing and my cement mattress and I met again.   

No comments:

Post a Comment